Sunday, August 17, 2008

Vicky Christina Barcelona

I've never had an opinion of Allen's work, good or bad before. Some were good, some not so good. That in addition to little knowledge of the film VCB, I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it truly was. Hon and I had a date night and the bogos stayed with friends while we dined and saw the feature. I had a very vague idea of the film's premise and it seemed like the right genre for what we were in the mood for. Everything over the summer is generally action packed adventure blah blah which isn't necessarily bad but does get BORING...we definitely didn't want to be adrenaline rushed.

Anyhow, I recommend it. It's not mind blowing or life changing but it did add to our dinner conversation and what was quite humorous was upon our entering the theatre two older women were departing and discussing their distaste for the film, "what a waste of time" it was and how they "never cared for Woody Allen" anyway. So what part of the movie attracted you ladies to spend money to go see it? We were cracking up and thanking them (out of earshot) for ruining the picture for us, jokingly. Perhaps their attacks upon it only help me enjoy it more.

The movie also made me enjoy Javier Bardem more as well. He just recently won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor at this year's academy awards (first Spanish actor to win). I thought then how handsome he was but hated the haircut in the movie, "No Country for Old Men". Then when I saw him at the Oscar's it was "wow!" he's got presence. Seeing him in this picture solidified my opinion.


There's this new persona of men in the celluloid world these days. You still have Clooney, Pitt, Costner, and Cruise making films and covering magazines but I think that's all about to change. They are not the macho guys of Swartz and Stallone yet these guys are very attractive, but not pretty, men. They are a man's man kind of man...oh man, whatever.





Anyway, what's best is they can act very well. I've enjoyed just about everything I've seen them in from Timeline to Lara Croft, Weeds to Grey's Anatomy, Bent to Children of Men, and even the soaps they reside upon until they choose to move on. They are a very handsome crew.
Javier Bardem, Thorsten Kaye, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Clive Owen, and Gerard Butler - in preferred order.

Looking forward to seeing more work by them; hey, I may be a lesbian but I can still appreciate a very good looking man now and again.

1 comment:

Rachel Elizabeth said...

This looked really interesting to me. Plus Javier Bardem is so attractive in a non-conventional way.