Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Love the concept, especially as it has been proven in practice, to be do-able, practical, and GREEN. Don't know how I would do at attempting a whole year of no new purchases. I really do like shopping. But I have done the thrift store route before and found excellent merchandise you simply can't find anymore (decor, etc.).
I plan on living secondhand for the first quarter of 2007. I know this may sound mild but those who know me will know what an undertaking this will be. So, no new purchases til March sans food and essentials (toiletries) to survive.
If we all practiced the barter system and recycled more we would change the world and how we value things. No new cars, no new toys, no new furniture, no new anything. Now that's a New Year's Resolution...or Recycled Year's Resolution?
Saturday, December 16, 2006
Oh, and two 5 gallon water bottles fit behind the passenger's seat when it's moved all the way up and the back is almost completely upright.
Just so you know in case...you ever need to know.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps
3. Colored lights on tree/house or clear? This year clear due to color scheme; usually color.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.
5. When do you put your decorations up? Hopefully done by first wknd of Dec.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding desserts)? Eggplant parmigiana
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? When I got my 10-speed...ah, independence.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Older brother although I suspected;9?
9. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve? 1/2 and 1/2 due to family gathering/custody sched.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Twinkle lts, ornaments, star on top and ribbon.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? SNOW!!! Yea, I live in the desert.
12. Can you ice skate? Not since three years of age; haven't tried again since.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift as a kid? The baby doll that crapped and peed when fed. 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending the time with family and ENJOYING it. Opening presents and watching loved ones faces respond (hopefully in enjoyment) and the food, smells, sights of the holiday in general.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Cherry pie.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Missing out on that this year; can't bare to discuss.
17. What tops your tree? Lit star.
18. Which do you prefer---giving or receiving? Definitely giving. Although I enjoyed receiving this year - SAAB!!!!!
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I'll be home for Christmas and Let it Snow.
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Gross, sticky, staining things.
21. Stockings? Or no Stockings? Stockings; some of the best gifts are found in there.
22. Do you like sledding? Hell yes!
23. Farthest you've traveled for Christmas day? Ohhh, 150 miles or so; going to Grandma/pa's.
24. Do you leave out cookies or carrots for when Santa comes? COOKIES, mallowmars are good.
25. What gets you into the holiday spirit? This year it was effortless. Being home with my family and how the kids seem to get excited, having people come into town, visit - you're just in there.
26. Does your wrapping colour coordinate? Generally speaking. Each person's gifts are wrapped in the same paper.
27. Favourite gift you've ever given? The digital camera. The pendant & ring were good though.
28. Most fun holiday memory? 1st year my hon and I were together and she was heading out for a party and I said g'night properly. That kitchen island was handy. Sorry, tmi.
29. Do you wrap your own gifts? Not MY OWN gifts but everyone else's I do, I even wrap for others. They appreciate my work, lol.
30. Most missed memory from childhood? Mom's chocolate chip cookies and cherry pie. My aunt tries to make the pie but it's just not the same.
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Can't post pics at all tonight. Keep trying w/o success so I will list car pics another time. Have new baby photos as well. The kids have, evidently, been torturing her playing dress up. Trying to make her appear as The Red Baron, Snoopy style, of course. Great pics; opened the file tonight at work and just cackled out loud. Everyone else got a laugh too. Well, I'll try again later.
So this afternoon when I woke I "caught" her and took her to the vet. She had a fever and I was given pills to give her and they were unable to drain the knot over her eye so I am to compress it and then push it out myself. Not happening. Plus she's an outdoor cat. Anyway, the excitement comes when the vet informs me ($102 later) that she IS indeed spayed (per tatoo on belly) and that she is also microchipped. Because she's a cat it never occurred to us to check that - strays are everywhere.
Anyway...much happiness and joy as we are going to reunite Cat with her family just in time for the holidays. SNAG! The company no longer has current info on the owner. Last residence was a few miles from our house so I'm thinking they relocated in the neighborhood and didn't keep info current. SO we are going to post pics and some info re: Cat to see if she is claimed and returned home. I would truly prefer she found her family for many reasons but mostly so she'd be back inside. She defnitely seems like she is an indoor/outdoor cat. My house she's strictly out because of the dogs. Well, wish us luck as we begin our quest...I'm really hoping for a holiday ending here.
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Not kidding, it was ridiculous. Every call we made the car was sold. Private, dealers, it just didn't matter. Then I found her. She was JUST listed and I went down that afternoon for the test drive and I had to have her. Some dickering and walking away led me up all that night. The phone call came the next day and it was all good. Then, this morning, when we were suppose to pick her up, my love tells me she was sold. Crushing blow and pain; I was rocked and needed to vomit. What I've waited for since high school has yet again, escaped my grasp.
It was all bogus. She even went so far as to tell the dealership NOT to let me know she bought it. She had them lie as well. Of course I found this all out later. She was planning on holding the car for another two weeks?!?!?! My honey, through much torment and tears, gave in and gave me my Christmas present early ... bless her. I really didn't have the nerve to carry on any further w/o my ride so I'm SOOOO thankful in addition to being thankful. I present my new car.
I'll have some personal/better pics to follow soon. If you note, last year, when I started this blog, I mentioned this vehicle on numerous occasions. Well, I finally have her and she is FAST!!! There's a computer to set an alarm; speed alarm. If I exceed a certain pre-set speed, she will chime at me to remind me to slow down. I'll certainly set that and see if it helps ;) .
She's wonderful and pretty and loaded and I am so very happy to have the holiday bless me a couple of weeks early. Thank you, love; it's perfect!
Friday, December 08, 2006
So, I found a car. It's a 9-3 SE; I tested it last Wednesday. It's a great car, turbo, automatic, climate controlled, simply loaded. Problem, it's through a dealer. I was looking at private sales to just pay cash and be gone with it. Turned out this guy ads like a private owner but is really a dealer and I realized that after I contacted him.
So, now I'm looking at the price plus tax which is a major suck factor but he was willing to reduce his price by $500 WHOO! Yeah, right. Still puts me over the budget I want to be in - not where I need to be in. I'm hoping some flash of something will occur this weekend and I'll either get an email from the guy or a call to see if he can come down a little further. I'd prefer another $500 less but can settle for $200-300 worst case.
My girlfriend just humors me at this point. We were kissing in bed that night and I started laughing - she asked what it was for and I said I didn't recall if it had cruise control; has to right? Yea, she said I was obsessed, rolled her eyes, laughed at me, gave me a hug, and said if I couldn't get to sleep I needed to leave the room because my childhood-like energy was keeping her awake. She's been totally cool about this whole thing because I have been obsessed and it's all I think or talk about. Perhaps I should have blogged sooner to save her the incessent chatter? She and the kids think I should go for it; I deserve it and it will make me happy.
This would be a most fantastic Christmas present and has certainly put myself in tops of moods. I've been seriously looking for about 4-6 months. Actively checking Craigslist and auto trader, etc. There's been a few that caught my eye but this one between price, mileage, and condition has definitely been one of the tops. There was a convertible that was crazy underpriced but the seller was very odd to say the least so I bailed on the deal. Didn't trust him to meet up and look at the car - bad vibes all over the place - you have to be careful. So, hopefully I'll be posting in a few days with good news. Eventually I will get the car I want as I am emotionally ready to handle it. I know this seems awfully silly to those who have no idea about me but I am a car fiend. I have been without a new car in oh, 3 years roughly. I am jonesing to the highest degree and have been testing myself for patience and self-control. I'm ready for the payout for my efforts, lol.
So, I do apologize for neglecting mine and everyone else's blogs recently but that should be a thing of the past, hopefully. I was to go out of town last week however St. Louis was covered in freezing rain which truly didn't appeal to me so I didn't so I'm to leave next week instead. Hopefully the weather holds up and I get there as I promised my mother I'd be out before year end...whooops - December came by awfully fast this year. Faster than ever before; did that happen for anyone else this year? Just asking.