Friday, April 28, 2006

Star Spangled Spanish??

Okay so because I wrote a post a few weeks ago regarding the immigration march I thought I'd do a follow up on the latest and greatest wave of debate.

As some may know, another couple of marches is in the works. One is the ANTI-Immigration reform march which I don't know definitively when it is to take place. The other is the boycott which is to occur on May 1st to show how much of an impact immigrants make in the workplace, country, etc. Is it a smart move? Mmmm, I don't think so...but that's just me. If you are working in a job being underpaid (stereotypically) doing something that isn't exactly high brow...there are those in line behind you waiting for the opportunity to take your place. If you get fired because you protested, don't be surprised. But I will admit that is just my limited and quick glance point of view.

Anyway that is not what this is about. The latest and greatest buzz is in regards to this. It is the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish. Some have criticized it too whiny or just entirely inappropriate. Some say it is simply paying homage to a great country and showing solidarity and sincerity, blah blah blah. Personally, I don't care for the song and it doesn't seem right (as it is an American Anthem) to be song in a foreign language.

Musically, I think it's beautifully done with the Spanish guitar being used and the pacing. But much like Hendrix electric version, it is one thing to be done over with a different angle but in a different language??? That just might be taking it too far.

I'm not patriotic however singing it in Spanish or ANY other language does seem cut into the whole meaning of the song. If you want to pay "homage" or show "sincerity" and not just do something for shock value or pissing off the public then sing the song in the appropriate language with a cultural slant as in the guitar work and perhaps other forms of percussion, etc. There's no way anyone truly believes they didn't see this backlash coming. Come on?!

At any given sporting event there have been several renditions stemming from the original given a different arrangement, different artists voices, different pacing or instrumentation, etc. It's not that it hasn't been done before. You add fuel to an already blazing fire to "kick it up a notch" and go full board singing in another language.

Like I said, I am not especially patriotic at all really. But this kind of send bad vibes to me so I can only imagine what it must do to those that are hard core, flag waving, apple pie-eating folks. Bottom line, I guess it's just something else to stir up controversy and bundle people's panties.

No comments: