Thursday, April 27, 2006

Working at the ...

So I've developed a new habit I haven't told anyone about yet. It's been my little secret for months now and I've felt after yesterday's experience I ought to share. Nothing profound ocurred yesterday but I thought about what I've been up to and realized others may want to partake and perhaps some already do so with that said, here is my secret.

At least once a week, before I begin my hour drive home in bumper to bumper traffic on the Loop 101, I stop by the $3.00 car wash and take about 5 minutes to unwind and relax in those moments of peace before hitting the grind. Then I switch back into drive and head for the Loop full of aggressive, road rage drivers that I see three days a week every single week.

Not terribly long ago I would spend 3 hours detailing my car about once a month or so and listen to tunes in the driveway as I washed, dried, waxed and detailed the interior and dressed my tires, etc. Lately, who has time...and if there's time, who has the energy. So not willing to give up the luster of a beautiful sheen, I've opted to cheat and head for technology and less elbow grease.

It started innocently enough. I went to get a jump start on detailing once when I let the cars go too long without a wash etc. Then I found it convenient to whizz through on my way to a family gathering or dropping the kids to a dance or so, this way the cars looked presentable and less guff from my dad on car care, you know.

Now though, I've noticed it's like a time out. It only lasts a few minutes but the sound of the stereo accentuated by the patter of fabric/rubber soap soaked strips against the window is so incredibly soothing and places me in quite a... like meditating state. So now when I pull up, hand in my three dollars and bring the car antennae down, I start my preselected track from the chosen cd and put the car in neutral ready to enjoy the ride. If you haven't sat on the track in a while I highly recommend it. For $3.00 a trip, it is quite the bargain. (Hey they should use that in advertising?!?!?!)

2 comments:

•♥•m•♥• said...

NIIIIICE.......LOVE THAT! I shall be purchasing soon with all this new incoming $$$ ....so I will be able to enjoy your new drug!......

Malifacent said...

It does wonders!!!