Sunday, August 13, 2006

NY Trip

Okay, so it's about a month overdue. Got some of the pics back, finally. Took forever for me to bring the rolls of film in so I thought I'd post what I have. The other three or four rolls I didn't get disc?? So, the GOOD stuff I'll have to scan in which I haven't gotten around to. I may have those done before Christmas...LOL!

This first pic is in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral - huge Catholic church that's truly gorgeous. In front of the cathedral is a pride poster for the week and weekend festivities.

What a great location for the advertisement!?


The next pic is one of 15 or so rows of candles - tried several different settings but this one was my favorite. Surprised I got out of there without a strike of lightening.


These were a couple of labs some guy came down to the park with. We were hanging out at the fountain in Central Park and they just came jumping in. You can tell they were really enjoying themselves just having a good ol' time. I enjoyed them too; they were so much fun to watch; made me miss my babies.


This next picture shows an interesting invention. The contraption we're hanging out on is called the Party Bike.

You sit 6 people around the "thing" and you have a main driver controlling the brake...the Party Bike Host. This brake is tight and the four of us when cruising down Times Square amongst the traffic.

We were in between buses and cabs and craziness. It was a huge blast and I'd do it again and again. One of us (not me) in the group was very ... scared you might say and kept screaming as we got near other vehicles...this just fed our host all the more so he kept playing dare devil. Never laughed so hard in my life. Great fun!

This shot has the host jumping off the bike with our camera (yes he returned it) getting a great shot with the square behind us.

And on the last day of sight seeing we went to the seaport village and at Fulton Market they were holding the exhibit of Bodies, The Exhibition.

This is the exhibit of cadavers stripped of skin, ligaments, muscle, veins, and in some cases all tissue down to the skeletal frame.

There was every possible dissection variation possible displayed and there was a section with all stages of fetal development including a fetus IN the womb at 24 weeks which was incredible. They also had cancer riddled breasts, lungs, and various other organs. It was very educational and incredibly fascinating. If you get a chance in your town, see it.

The way it's done is incredible and the process used to preserve the bodies and specimens, they all appear plastic.

"Once dissected, the specimen is immersed in acetone, which eliminates all body water. The specimen is then placed in a large bath of silicone, or polymer, and sealed in a vacuum chamber. Under vacuum, acetone leaves the body in the form of gas and the polymer replaces it, entering each cell and body tissue. A catalyst is then applied to the specimen, hardening it and completing the process."

That is until this one display of a woman who was planed lengthwise into 5-layers showing the entire body with skin and all. Still fabulous!

No comments: